It has finally turned summer in San Diego County as temperatures have been climbing in East County and the rest of the region. When it gets hot the danger of heat exhaustion or heat stroke climbs, especially for the elderly and disabled. So that’s why the County’s Health and Human Services Agency is reminding people to be careful not to get overheated and to keep hydrated when the temperatures climb. They also want everyone to watch out for neighbors who might have problems from the heat.
Often senior citizens and the disabled suffer more from heat because of physical conditions as well as the inability to cool down. Sometimes this is because they are unable to afford the extra expense of air conditioning. This is why the County Health and Human Services Agency and the County’s Aging and Independence Services, in conjunction with SDG&E, coordinate the Cool Zones program every summer and fall. This program will continue through October 31, covering most of the traditionally hot season.
Cool Zones are locations where residents can go to escape the heat during the high temperatures that hit parts of San Diego County in the summer and early fall. Although they are primarily provided to help seniors, these locations are generally open to anyone who needs them. Another benefit of these Cool Zones is that they give residents the option of sharing the air conditioning in a location rather than using their own, which helps to reduce energy use during peak periods.
Following is a list of some East County Cool Zone locations:
- Alpine Community Library 1830 Alpine Blvd Alpine East CA 91901 M-F 9-4pm, S 10-1pm
- Alpine County Library 2130 Arnold Ave. Alpine East CA 91901 T,TH 9:30-8pm, W 9:30-6pm, F,S 9:30-5pm
- Christ the King Episcopal Church 1460 Midway Drive Alpine East CA 91901 Sunday 9-12pm
- Christian Science Reading Room 8370 La Mesa Blvd La Mesa East CA 91941 M,W,Th,F 9-5, Tue 9-7, Sat 10-4pm
- La Mesa Adult Enrichment Center 8450 La Mesa Blvd La Mesa East CA 91941 M-F 8-5pm
- La Mesa Library 8074 Allison Ave La Mesa East CA 91941 M-Th 9:30-8pm, F,S 9:30-5pm, Sun 1-5pm
- Rancho San Diego Library 11555 Via Rancho San Diego El Cajon East CA 92019 M 9:30-6pm, T, Th 9:30-8pm, W 9:30-6, F, S 9:30-5, Sun1-5
- East County Regional Center 250 E Main St El Cajon East CA 92020 M-F 7am-5pm
- El Cajon Library 201 E Douglas El Cajon East CA 92020 M-TH 9:30-8pm, F,S 9:30-5pm, Sun 1-5pm
- Fletcher Hills Library 576 Garfield Ave El Cajon East CA 92020 T, Th 9:30-6pm, W 12-8pm, F, S 10-5pm
- Crest Library 105 Juanita Lane El Cajon East CA 92021 T 12-8pm, W,Th 9:30-6pm, F 9:30-5pm, S 9:30-3pm
- Salvation Army Senior Dining & Social Center 1011 E Main St El Cajon East CA 92021 M-F10:30-2pm
- Lakeside Community Center 9841 Vine St Lakeside East CA 92040 M-F 12-8pm
- Lakeside Library 9839 Vine St Lakeside East CA 92040 M, Th 9:30-6pm, T, W 9:30-8pm, F,S 9:30-5pm
- Santee Library 9225 Carlton Hills Blvd. #17 Santee East CA 92071 M-TH 9:30-8pm, F,S 9:30-5pm, Sun1-5pm
For a complete list of all County Cool Zones click here.